What is an adult dyslexia diagnostic assessment?
A full dyslexia diagnostic assessment is required to confirm the presence of dyslexia in an adult.
What happens during the dyslexia assessment?
The dyslexia assessment will be carried out by a professionally qualified and experienced assessor. The assessor will:
- discuss the individual’s background, previous educational experiences and current needs.
- carry out a series of tests designed to measure performance across a range of activities
- identify a pattern of difficulties and strengths which will allow the assessor to determine whether dyslexia is present.
At the discretion of the specialist assessor, the possible co-occurrence of associated specific learning difficulties such as Dyspraxia/ DCD (Developmental Co-ordination Disorder) or Visual Stress may also be explored during the diagnostic assessment.
The assessment will identify problem areas as well as areas of particular strength and expertise, so it is both subjective and positive in character.
The process is confidential and the dyslexia assessment is conducted privately over a period of 2-3 hours.
What happens after a dyslexia assessment?
Upon the conclusion of the dyslexia assessment, a comprehensive report will be provided that will give the results of the tests and make recommendations for:
- general adjustments at work
- appropriate access arrangements for examinations
- resources available to assist the individual at study or work
Where an individual is in employment and is experiencing difficulties at work, the next step would be to have a workplace needs assessment. This will make recommendations for specific reasonable adjustments, which may include assistive technology and coping strategies
How much is an adult's diagnostic assessment?
A full diagnostic assessment for an adult is £350 if it takes place at our office or £375 if it takes place elsewhere.
Which locations are covered?
Dys-appear are able to provide diagnostic dyslexia assessments for adults in the geographical location of the North West encompassing:
- Greater Manchester